Sunday, November 8, 2009

Health Care Reform

Well the Health Care Reform Bill has passed the House of Representatives. I'm actually quite amazed at the number of people against this bill. I guess living in Canada for all but the first three years of my life affects my bias a little. But honestly, what is so bad about this? I think Michael Moore does a good job dispelling the myths with his movie "Sicko". If you haven't seen this movie then you should.

While watching Sicko, I was awe struck when the man who cut off the tops of his fingers had to choose which ones to put back on because he couldn't afford to re-attach them all. WTF? Living in Canada there is no question. If the doctors can, they will, re-attach all of them. They wont even ask questions about it.

I've heard bits a pieces from the media and one thing I seem to hear, complaints about the cost. I don't pay a single penny directly to this wonderful health care system. Sure I pay taxes and that goes towards it but big deal. Take away the health care and do you think my taxes will go down? I think not. Waiting times will go up they say. Well sure, now everyone can go to the hospital when they cut off a finger (or worse). No need to kid yourself that the pain in your chest is the cheeseburger you had for lunch because you don't have Medicare. On the flip side, if more patients are going to the hospital that means the hospitals and doctors make more money and thus more hospitals can open.

Everyone knows that the biggest problem with this new bill is that there is really only one looser, the Insurance companies. Profits will decrease, but they will survive. Everyone one still wants to have the extra perks; a private room; elective surgeries; life insurance; etc... Billions of dollars will be diverted from the Insurance companies and end up in the hands of the American people. This new found disposable income will boost the economy as people start buying again. Retail stores, realestate and automotive sales, to name a few, will see large growth again. Now how is that for a stimulus package!

Come on you guys! What are you thinking about!

No comments: