Sunday, March 16, 2008

Am I a Bushcrafter?

I thought bushcraft was a style of wilderness experience. These people that call themselves bushcrafters would dress in ancient clothing and use primitive equipment in order to get back to basics. Recently I’ve had this idea brought into question.

Am I a bushcrafter? I enjoy being outdoors; I no longer camp with a tent (I use a tarp); I build a fire with flint (when ever possible since I haven’t mastered it yet); I try to learn and practice survival techniques; and I would rather improvise something at camp than carry it in. That being said, I also like some comforts, I use a sleeping bag when it’s cold and I use an alcohol stove for cooking in general. I don’t fit the Grizzle Adam’s persona and I can’t catch my dinner unless there is a shopping cart close by.

Does any of that matter? Is there one word or phrase that can define bushcraft? Am I a bushcrafter?

1 comment:

★ Crazy Drile™ said...

Congratulations for your blog!
I really enjoyed your chapters

Nice to meet you,
Sebastian from Sydney Australia