Monday, March 17, 2008

What's in my pack?

I saw an interesting article on WinterCampers.com that asked the question “What’s in my pack?” I thought it would be good to do this since I’m still trying to fine-tune my pack. I don’t have any hi-tech gear or anything expensive but I do try to keep it as light as possible and minimal. Here goes:

  • Sleeping Bag Shell – A 1945 pattern, US Army mummy outer shell. I use it all seasons but what goes in depends on the weather.
  • Sleeping Bag (cold) – A 1945 pattern, US Army Mountain sleeping bag. I think it’s rated for –10c. I just got it this past summer and it has a few thin spots. I tried it out once this winter and it did quite well. I’ll use a fleece liner next time in help with the cold spots and see how that works. It’s quit heavy though. One day I’ll invest in something newer and lighter.
  • Sleeping Bag (warm) – A fleece liner and the shell.
  • Bed Roll – I only use a closed cell pad that is 4oz. It’s a little thin for winter but I make up for that with whatever branches I can get from my firewood. I always find tree trunks that have small branches on them. Once I have a pile large enough for kindling I use the rest for bedding.
  • Shelter – MEC Scout Tarp. I was introduced to tarps a couple of years ago and have never looked back.
  • Pack – It needs some work but I’m currently using a Roots 50L pack. Completely water proof, comfortable when fully loaded and holds everything I need. It just a too heavy at around 5lb.
  • Stove – Pop can alcohol stove
  • Folding saw with a nice 6-inch blade. It’s a little slow but it gets the job done.
  • Storage (clothes) – a nylon water proof stuff sack
  • Storage (Food) – a large protean powder (for body building) jar. This thing holds about 4-leters and is completely waterproof. I once submerged it in the lake overnight to keep my cheese from sweating.

Clothes

  • Wicking socks
  • Light sports shirts (wicking)
  • Polyester long sleeve shirts
  • Fleece sweater
  • Cotton filled, water proof coat with a large hood
  • Tempest (Viking co.) rain shell that sheds water like mad. If you can believe it, I found this in the Salvation Army store.


2 comments:

Jim Muller said...

Interesting pack list. Are you a four season camper? Does that make a difference in what you carry?

www.WinterCampers.com

spotTheCamper said...

Jim,

I do try to four season camp although I'm still new to the winter stuff. There really isn't much change in what I carry for each season. Clothing and the sleeping bag are the big differences for me.

In the summer I tend to wear what I need for the weekend with a few spare clothing items. The current weather reports guide me in my choice.