Friday, March 21, 2008

Climate Change Revolution


Earth Hour is quickly approaching and I’m all prepared with my candles and games for the kids. I’ve even registered my intent with earthHour.org. My wife and I are going to make this a family night and enjoy the time with our children. Although family night is not new to our household, it does get neglected now and again with the trappings of our hectic lifestyles.

Living in the Greater Toronto Area, I’m reminded of the Northeast Blackout of 2003. The town I live in and the surrounding areas were completely dark. Normally we don’t get to see many stars because of the light pollution. But on that night the stargazing was impressive to say the least. I have high hopes that for that one brief hour during Earth Hour, enough lights will be turned off so that we can again see some extra stars.

I realize that not everyone will partake in this landmark event, and that’s okay. The media will show the world the difference that was made that day, water coolers will erupt with the whispers of change. The climate change revolution has begun.

No comments: