Sunday, March 30, 2008

Earth Hour Review

For me Earth Hour was a success. All four of my children (ages 6 – 13) were excited. When the appointed hour arrived, we lit candles and watched the sun go down. There was so much enthusiasm that the three youngest decided to try to persuade some of our more pessimistic neighbours to partake in the event. Unfortunately they didn't have much luck. As a matter of fact, I was able to count nine of the fifteen or so houses visible from my living room, illuminated by electrical lighting.

Regardless of my neighbours' views, we were determined to do our part. So much so, that when someone opened the refrigerator we all shouted to close the door because there is a light bulb burning. Of course my thirteen year old argued unsuccessfully that it didn't matter.


Once Earth Hour had ended some of my children wanted to turn the lights on with a count down but we realized that there was no need. "Let's just keep them off and keep the candles going. It's warmer, cosier and prettier." The real sign that this was a success was when my twelve year old daughter announced at dinner tonight, "Lets do it every Saturday night!"


I think we might…

No comments: